Actions

  • Title
    Western Friendly Medical Club
  • Reference
    MS0163
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date
    1862-1946
  • Creator
  • Scope and Content
    This collection contains attendence books, notebooks and accounts.
  • Extent
    11 volumes and 1 file
  • Language
    English
  • Conditions governing access
    By appointment only. See College website for contact details of the Archives.
  • Conditions governing reproduction
    No photocopying permitted
  • Admin./ biographical history
    The Western Friendly Medical Club was formed in 1862 for the purpose of "establishing and maintaining a sociable and convivial intercourse amongst its' members." The Club first met on 20th October 1862 and decided the Clubs resolutions. The club was to include twelve members, and would meet on the first and third Monday evenings of the month from October to April. The fifth resolution states: "That Whist be played from eight until eleven o'clock, after which no rubber is to be commenced under a penalty of five shillings". The ninth resolution states: "That tea and coffee be handed round at 8 o'clock, biscuits and wine at 9, and that the supper consist of Sandwiches, Oysters, Ham or Tongue, Salad - with or without a Lobster, Wine and Cup. For any other dishes a fine of 5s." Amongst the first twelve members were: T. B. Curling (President of the College), Samuel Cartwright (Surgeon to the Dental Hospital), Charles Hawkins (of St Geroge's and Queen Charlotte's Hospitals), and H. Spencer Smith (Dean of St Mary's Medical School). Whist was later replaced by Bridge. From 1934 onwards no illustrations are included on the pages of the books. After 1939 only three meetings, two in 1944 and one in 1946, are recorded. The club continued to meet for nearly a century, before winding up their activities and donating their possessions to the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1952.
  • Associated names
  • Subjects
Hierarchy browser (click on the blue cross to expand lower levels)