Actions

  • Title
    Archives of St George's Hospital Medical School
  • Reference
    MS0470
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date
    1700-1933
  • Creator
  • Scope and Content
    This is a collection of lectures and medical case notes which reflects the role that St George's Hospital has played in training doctors and surgeons between the years 1762-1933. Most of the collection is within the 19th century with Sir Benjamin Brodie's medical case notes and experiments. These span the whole of his career from a student at St George's to staff surgeon and surgeon to the Royal family. As well as Brodie, John and William Hunter's lecture series are documented as well as lectures from other notable surgeons including Sir Everard Home and Percivall Pott. Amongst the lectures and case notes there are testimonials and letters which related to the training hospital along with published books regarding the history of St George's and the famous surgeons it produced.
  • Extent
    28 Boxes and 1 Framed Item
  • Language
    English
  • System of arrangement
    As described in the Scope and Content.
  • Conditions governing access
    By appointment only. Please contact the Archives to make an appointment.
  • Admin./ biographical history
    St George's Hospital opened in 1733 at Lanesborough House, Hyde Park Corner. It owes its existence to four men, Henry Hoare, William Wogan, Robert Witham and the Reverend Patrick Cockburn, who collectively founded the Westminster Public Infirmary in Petty France in 1720. The ever increasing needs of the sick forced the Westminster Public Infirmary to seek improved and enlarged premises. A disagreement between members of both the Governors and medical staff on the choice of building led to the founding of both Westminster Hospital in Castle Lane and Saint George's Hospital on Hyde Park Corner. In 1735, St George's Hospital purchased the freehold of Lanesborough House, two adjoining houses and two acres of land. Under the direction of Isaac Ware of the Board of Works, the hospital was enlarged to accommodate 200 patients. By 1825 the hospital was falling into disrepair. A competition was held for the design of a new hospital. It was won by William Wilkins, and the new building was opened at Hyde Park Corner in 1829. Since its foundation, St George's Hospital has been training medical students. In 1834, a medical school was established in Kinnerton Street and it was incorpotated into the hospital in 1868. Just before the beginning of the Second World War, it was decided that St George's needed to be rebuilt on its Hyde Park Corner site. The plan was however abandoned by the commencement of hostilities. During the War, against a background of the population shift from central London, discussions took place which paved the way for Saint George's to be rebuilt and transferred out of the city centre. With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital became part of the St George's Hospital Teaching Group of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. Soon after, the Board of Governors persuaded Aneurin Bevan, the Minister of Health, that the new hospital should be built on the Grove Fever Hospital and Fountain Hospital sites in Tooting. Patients began to be admitted into the Grove Hospital in 1951 and, by 1953, the Grove Hospital was designated to St George's and responsibility for it was transferred from the Wandsworth Hospital Group to the Board of Governors of St George's. The Fountain Children's Hospital site adjacent to the Grove Hospital was added to the land available for the St George's Hospital redevelopment when the Fountain Hospital transferred to Queen Mary's Hospital, Carshalton. The building of the new St George's at Tooting began in 1973. Following the reorganisation of the National Health Service in 1974, the Board of Governors was disbanded, and the responsibility for Saint George's Hospital was passed to the Wandsworth and Merton District of the Merton, Sutton and Wandsworth Area Health Authority. South West Thames Regional Health Authority assumed responsibility for the rebuilding of the new St George's. The first phase of the new St George's Hospital Medical School opened in 1976. Lanesborough Wing, the first of the ward blocks opened in 1980. The same year marked the closure of Saint George's Hospital at Hyde Park Corner In 1993, St George's Hospital came under the control of St George's Healthcare NHS Trust. The hospital has been administered by the following: 1733 - 1948: St George's Hospital 1948 - 1974: St George's Hospital Teaching Group of South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board 1974 - 1982: Merton, Sutton and Wandsworth Area Health Authority of South West Thames Regional Hospital Board 1982 - 1993: Wandsworth District Health Authority of South West Thames Regional Hospital Board 1993 - : St George's Healthcare NHS Trust [Source: Catalogue of the London Metropolitan Archives]
  • Notes
    Items 70-76 were not included in the original list.
  • Associated names
Hierarchy browser (click on the blue cross to expand lower levels)